In this task we were to create 15 scamps illustrating the label of a banana and orange flavored juice, which had to include the fruits, the name of the product and the name of the flavour.
I first thought of fruit on the run, which brought about associations to O brother where art thou, and further to the intros of James Bond (there is often a LOT of running and car chasing involved). But then I thought that this does not say a lot about the juice, which preferrably would be refreshing and light, so I reckoned the illustration should be colorful, with organic shapes. Ultimately, I went with the last sketch, as the organic shapes and «font» appealed to me and hopefully to someone who wants a refreshing juice.(in addition to being more manageable as a first project in Illustrator *shhhh*)
Seeing as I had a Course Assignment due, this task (with following research), Japanese classes and a part-time job, I was quite frankly overwhelmed this week. The main problem was that I am completely new to Adobe Illustrator, and the massive amount of tools that you can use, not to mention the Shift/ctrl/alt keys you can mix and match them with to gain different results. Even after spending hours upon hours watching tutorials, when trying to use Illustrator I felt like a human from the stone age faced with a car, however that must feel like. And the solution? I just had to play around with the program, googling, watching more videos, and tweaking and nudging until my eyes went square.
As you might see, there are some places along the paths of the blue water-ish shaped element that are not smooth enough, which wouldn’t have been a problem if I made the paths more efficiently and smoothly. Furthermore, the oranges were the first elements that I made, and at the time I could not remember how to properly rotate the innermost elements of the orange so it would be properly symmetrical… so I did it manually. (not very efficient I know).
Thankfully, things started to loosen up (pun very much intended) when I got to the bananas and the type, which I am rather happy with. The «Loose» part kind of looks like a face, with the o-s being the eyes and the descender of the L being the mouth. The Juice part, however, is a bit hard on the eyes as I might have sheared it too much.
On the packaging itself, I’m thinking that the white areas (measuring approx that of a A6 page) could be transparent, which would add to the smooth and refreshing feeling I was going for.
Constructive criticism is very welcome! Just keep in mind that I’m a total newbie ^^
2 kommentarer om “Lesson Task – Loose Juice”
This was great, good job!
Thank you so much!